The origin of Hamilton may be traced to the original Greenwood School which was located on the corner of Melrose and Walker Avenue. Greenwood was the pride of the community it served. The thousands of students who attended are today the proud parents and grandparents of a large number of the students presently enrolled in Hamilton High School.
Increasing enrollment precipitated a need for improved conditions, better facilities, and a larger, more modern building to accompany the emerging technological aspect of education. In 1940-41, a plot of land at Kerr and Wilson Street was purchased by the city Board of Education. On that land, a new school was built. The school was named Hamilton Junior High School. It opened under the administration of J. L. Buckner, the first principal of Hamilton.
Hamilton was named in memory of Principal Green Polonius Hamilton, who had taught and influenced thousands of students in his career, and was nationally noted as an educator, poet, musician, and the first principal of the first, and for many years the only high school for Blacks in the city of Memphis. In 1943, Superintendent E. C. Ball made a recommendation to the Board of Education that Hamilton become a four year high school. The recommendation was approved and the first senior high school graduation was held in June, 1945.
"Become a Part of the Possibilities as we Connect the Pieces through Redesign!"
Interim Principal - Harold McRae
1363 Person Ave. Office: (901) 416-7838
Memphis, TN 38106 Fax: (901) 416-7829