White Station High School is recognized nationwide as an exceptional college preparatory school. Our students receive a very well-rounded and highly intensive liberal arts foundation in the fields of science, medicine, mathematics, law, architecture, education, business, public service and social service, which are all taught at a level that ensures our students will be competitive in all post-secondary pursuits.
Our Ninth to Twelfth Grade Students Experience:
- Dedicated service and instruction from an experienced faculty that believes in “Excellence for All.”
- Accelerated learning options, including 19 Advanced Placement (A.P.) courses.
- An educational culture known for fostering success and evidenced by the 300-plus students obtaining scores of three or above on A.P. exams from year to year and the school’s outstanding average of 20 National Merit Semifinalists each of the last nine years.
- Exposure to a wide range of fine arts programs, including band, choir, orchestra and advanced art programs.
- Advanced levels of foreign language instruction, including Spanish, French, Latin, German and Japanese.
- Additional enrichment opportunities, ranging from participation in city-wide Knowledge Bowl competitions and the Memphis-Shelby County Science and Engineering Fair to membership in the Model United Nations, Mock Trial and Wordsmith organizations.
- A complete interscholastic athletic program, including football, basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, softball, cheerleading, swimming, soccer, volleyball, track, cross country and wrestling.
Optional Requirements for White Station High School
To be admitted into the Optional Program, students in grades 9-12 must:
- Complete an Application for Optional Schools
- Submit a copy of the most recent comprehensive report card
- Submit a copy of the student’s current nationally-normed or state-normed achievement test scores
Other requirements include having:
- Applicants must score at or above the 80th percentile on the Reading/Language Arts subtest or its equivalent AND on the Mathematics subtest or its equivalent.
- Applicant’s report card must have A’s and B’s with no more than one C as a semester average. Report cards must also have no D’s or F’s as a semester average in any subject.
- Applicant’s report card must show satisfactory conduct and attendance (including promptness to school and to each class). A total of more than 15 absences and/or tardies is considered unsatisfactory.
- For tenth through twelfth grade applicants, ACT scores in Reading, English and Mathematics must be equivalent to the 80th percentile or higher. On the SAT Reasoning Test, Critical Reading and Mathematic scores must be equivalent to the 80th percentile or higher.
- Final approval is contingent upon review of the student’s second semester grades.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the student’s parents/legal guardians.
To remain in the Optional Program, students must maintain an average of C or above in each subject per semester, as well as satisfactory conduct and attendance (including prompt arrival to school and to classes). A total of more than 15 absences, tardies and/or early dismissals is considered unsatisfactory.
Optional School programs may be subject to change due to potential district-wide grade reconfigurations. Any changes made will be communicated prior to the start of the 2007-08 school year by the Division of Optional Schools.
For additonal information about White Station High's Optional Program, contact
Carrye Sowell Holland: 416-8893 or
Memphis City Schools Optional Program Website